Tips on learning Vim as I moved my primary toolchain to Ubuntu 20.04 on WSL2
Getting started #
- This Scotch.io tutorial covers the basics, including
vimtutoras an interactive tutor on many *nix systems.
- Learning Vim in a week
- Vim cheatsheet tutorial and UK version
- Vim colour schemes
- Pick a theme.
Tips and tricks #
- Improving Vim's startup time, particularly the one-liner
vim --startuptime vim.log
Going deeper #
- Book and video https://www.barbarianmeetscoding.com/boost-your-coding-fu-with-vscode-and-vim/foreword/
- Marcus Kazmierczak's excellent Working with Vim series
- Improving Vim Speed, with Santi Younger's very helpful notes:
1:00 vim has a mythology of being impossibly hard.
2:30 Stay out of insert mode.
3:30 Disable arrows, to work on getting used to hjkl movement.
4:20 As you get more advanced let go of hjkl
5:00 learn advance shortcuts w instead of l (moving through words)
e (ends of words)
ge (back end of words)
5:50 advanced functions to delete chunks of phrases "t" "ct"
7:12 delete find df (delete til it find a specific symbol you are looking for)
8:40 relative numbers (example -16,-1co.) this copy pastes a chunk above the line where you are (or below)
9:20 H M L (migh medium low)
- Greg Hurrell's Vim screencasts
- Thoughtbot's How to Do 90% of What Plugins Do (With Just Vim)
- Brodie Robertson's YouTube videos on Vim and Linux - for example FZF Vim Is Hands Down The Best Vim Fuzzy Finder
- Look at the Vim plugins from Tim Pope
- Bill Joy's invention of vi
- Bill Joy's keyboard
- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21586980 with a picture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-3A#/media/File:KB_Terminal_ADM3A.svg
Muscle memory #
- https://ondras.github.io/sleeping-beauty/ using Vim keysgi
- mapping CapsLock for Ctrl
Ultimate Vim .rc: https://github.com/amix/vimrc
Tagged#linux #tools #vim #wsl2
Since you've made it this far, sharing this article on your favorite social media network would be highly appreciated 💖! For feedback, please ping me on Twitter.